Thursday, May 7, 2009

1963 Corvette Sting Ray






I'm a car guy. I Appreciate every detail...the lines, the sounds, the history. Driving is my escape. Whenever I need to clear my head, just put me behind the wheel. If the top can go down and there's a stick shift even better.

Whenever someone asks me what my "number one pick" is, there is no hesitation. A 1963 Corvette Sting Ray Split Window in Black. Don't get me wrong, there are other Vette's that I desire, plenty as a matter of fact, but the '63 is the most important (in my opinion).

First thing is the name. Sting Ray was introduced with this model year. It was 2 words until '68. This was also the first year for a hardtop, pop-up headlights, leather interior, and most significantly...the split rear window. Unfortunately safety and practicality won over design aesthetic and the next model year the split window was no more.

Today these are extremely difficult to find. Some states outlawed the split rear window leading some owners to remove the bar. If they only knew now...kind of like someones mom throwing out their comic books.

No comments: